Best way to start me off

That-Strange-Guy

Bluelighter
-20 years old
-140 pounds
-3.5% body fat
-Have been working out for 4 years [struggle like hell for results]
-I eat very healthy and eat as much as I can [even when im not hungry]
-I have taken creatine, whey gain, protien shakes and nothing seems to beef me up
-No matter how much I eat I just can't seem to gain weight, and I have nothing left to change into muscle

-Goals: I want to look bigger and healthy. Not aiming for the cover of a muscle mag
-I work out about 4-5 days a week
- I am in the canadian military [NES] - trying to get out.

here is a recent picture:

2009-12-23-74336.jpg

Any advice guys? I look like a coke-head and i'm tired of it.

Please post the details your diet. What, how much and how often.

And please post the details of your workout. Daily routine with exercises, # of sets and # of reps.

Please post the details your diet. What, how much and how often.

And please post the details of your workout. Daily routine with exercises, # of sets and # of reps.

My diet varies as I have not found one that works, I avoid any fast food / trans fats ect. I try to eat as much protein as I can, along with fruits, vegetables, I stay away from carbonated beverages, trying to drink only water, 2% milk, v8 juices.
[I am open to suggestions]

My workout consists of a jog every day [length depending on my schedule] I try to it the 4km mark atleast.
afternoon and mid evening is when I weight-train [doing 3 sets of 12 atleast on each of the following]

day1- chest / forearms / neck
day2- legs / back
day3- triceps / biceps
day4- all cardio [skipping, speed-bags, runs, ect]
-Also the military gets us to do things such as 14km marches with 60pounds of gear.

Also I have been in various martial arts from the ages of 4-17 and now the military so could my body just be used to physical stress?
-Karate
-Tae Kwon Do
-Judo
-Boxing
-Military

And I do smoke weed every day and have just recently quit cigarettes but this has never hindered my progress as I am still dedicated.

Obviously your diet needs a lot of work. 140lbs, height?? What's your protein and daily caloric intake like?

/V

Obviously your diet needs a lot of work. 140lbs, height?? What's your protein and daily caloric intake like?

/V

I'm 5'10 - 5'11

And as I said it varies, I have been changing my diet like crazy at least once a week trying to find something to fit my needs. Plus on certain days on courses I have to eat whatever they serve me in the mess-hall for meals and I don't have time for shakes or w.e before my workouts / marches. I can eat like a horse and do so accordingly, all home-cooked meals. Lots of red meat and eggs, I eat untill I almost feel bloated every chance I get, especially before a workout.

Lot's of red meat / chicken / fish (love orange roughy if I can afford it) - and tons, I mean tons of good carbs: sweet potatoes, whole grain rice / past - throw those in with everything. Eat till you fee like you are goin to puke. I can't say how many cals you'll need but I'd say 250-300 grams protein and 500+ grams carbs with the right amount of cals and you will see results friend. Good look.

Lot's of red meat / chicken / fish (love orange roughy if I can afford it) - and tons, I mean tons of good carbs: sweet potatoes, whole grain rice / past - throw those in with everything. Eat till you fee like you are goin to puke. I can't say how many cals you'll need but I'd say 250-300 grams protein and 500+ grams carbs with the right amount of cals and you will see results friend. Good look.

Thank you, I will try this and get back to you.

And I have been slacking, haven't been worried about muscle since the summer because I would rather beef up first as I was working it off to quickly.

I will start my workout again tomorrow following that diet^

You didn't mention what your daily caloric and protein intake is like. You really are rather underweight for your height. And at 3.5% BF, a little "junk" or fast food could do you some good. Try and eat everything and anything to raise your weight. If you have a problem with appetite, there are products out there to help stimulate your appetite. I'm just a tad bit taller than you, and I was 140 lbs. as freshman in high school.

I believe you might get better help from the HL section of this board so I'm going to move your thread there. Good luck....and eat like you have 6 asses.

/V

How's your sleep?

Between the military exercises/lifestyle (field training/humps), jogging 4km daily, cardio-only day once per week, not making time for food/shakes...you are in a severe caloric deficit! 3.5% body fat is hella low. You are never going to put on any muscle for any period of time if your so low in body fat and not consuming enough food that you are using muscle for fuel.

Ease off on the optional cardio. None when you are in or going to the field, the week of a known hump and especially when you are eating like shit (meaning the lack thereof in your case).

Eat more! Especially what theartofwar suggests. Make time for food and 1-2 shakes per day. If you want more muscle you don't have a choice...EAT!

And stop doing this for heavens sake;

I have been changing my diet like crazy at least once a week

Actually, your body doesn't look unhealthy at all to me.
You may be "underweight" for your height, but your low body fat percentage means that you have an average amount of muscle by weight. Considering all the exercise you get, I would say that your muscles are probably very toned, and the "muscle quality" is probably very high.

I, like you, am skinny, and get a lot of exercise. Our weight and height is nearly identical.
I used to worry about it, but I finally realized that this is simply my body type, and no worrying was necessary.
I jog, swim, ride my bike, do a lot of yoga, and try to use the machines at the gym as regularly as possible. I average one hour a day of exercise. I eat lots of protein and oil, but I have only gained about 3 pounds in the past 20 years.
Now, I focus on being healthy, not merely looking healthy.
With all the cardio, it is very hard to add muscle. But the cardio is making/keeping me healthy, so I simply can't give it up.

How's your sleep?

Between the military exercises/lifestyle (field training/humps), jogging 4km daily, cardio-only day once per week, not making time for food/shakes...you are in a severe caloric deficit! 3.5% body fat is hella low. You are never going to put on any muscle for any period of time if your so low in body fat and not consuming enough food that you are using muscle for fuel.

Ease off on the optional cardio. None when you are in or going to the field, the week of a known hump and especially when you are eating like shit (meaning the lack thereof in your case).

Eat more! Especially what theartofwar suggests. Make time for food and 1-2 shakes per day. If you want more muscle you don't have a choice...EAT!

On the course I don't sleep any longer than 2 hours at a time, we get woken up to rotate fire picket duty. [Foot patrol all night] But at home I try get about 4-7 hours sleep per night.

Thanks, Like I said I am leaving the military. I am working full time at another job and only attending training days with the forces atm. And the military feeds you well, just not always the perfect diet choices. And at home I eat a shitload.

I didn't know changing my diet could be dangerous, but I just went out and spent close to 265$ on new groceries. [^what was suggested above] This should last me a while at least, hoping it will help me gain more weight.

Actually, your body doesn't look unhealthy at all to me.
You may be "underweight" for your height, but your low body fat percentage means that you have an average amount of muscle by weight. Considering all the exercise you get, I would say that your muscles are probably very toned, and the "muscle quality" is probably very high.

I, like you, am skinny, and get a lot of exercise. Our weight and height is nearly identical.
I used to worry about it, but I finally realized that this is simply my body type, and no worrying was necessary.
I jog, swim, ride my bike, do a lot of yoga, and try to use the machines at the gym as regularly as possible. I average one hour a day of exercise. I eat lots of protein and oil, but I have only gained about 3 pounds in the past 20 years.
Now, I focus on being healthy, not merely looking healthy.
With all the cardio, it is very hard to add muscle. But the cardio is making/keeping me healthy, so I simply can't give it up.

I know I am in good shape, and I am quite strong for my size, I am just tired of looking so small, It feels like I am in the body of a child and I am 20 years old, I just want to be able to add some fat to my bones so I can feel a little more comfortable about my size for once.

And I was looking into steroid use, just to help me gain an upper-hand until I discovered it would be very harmful at my weight and age.

at 3.5% bodyfat you must be in calorie defecit. Eat more fats and carbs, you'll never put on muscle in calorie defecit. That means full fat milk instead of 2%, not restricting yourself when it comes to fast food and trying to eat larger portions of carbohydrates more often throughout the day.

at 3.5% bodyfat you must be in calorie defecit. Eat more fats and carbs, you'll never put on muscle in calorie defecit. That means full fat milk instead of 2%, not restricting yourself when it comes to fast food and trying to eat larger portions of carbohydrates more often throughout the day.

Only reason I have cut fast food from my diet is because of genetic health problems that have caused several family members to die at a young age, but you guys do know what you are talking about since i'm assuming you all have experience and knowledge of these subjects. I will listen to what you said, thank you.

I would avoid fast food at all costs - you want to be healthy, but fast food won't make you healthy.
Eating healthy fats, like olive oil and fish, will be better for you than the trans fats common in fast food. If you avoided steroids for health reasons, I would avoid fast foods for the same reasons.
Try for unheated oils. Like dipping bread in olive oil, and lots of nuts and seeds for the protein and oils.
Good luck!

If you really want to gain fat start drinking, beer and or alcohol in general. I used to smoke weed all the time and could not gain weight even though i ate food all day long. When i got put on probation and couldnt smoke i started drinking. Ive gained probably 30 to 40 pounds ( i was 130lb then) over the past year just because beer has alot of calories and i drink often, but if i was to work out like im supposed to it wouldnt be as big of a weight gain

I would avoid fast food at all costs - you want to be healthy, but fast food won't make you healthy.
Eating healthy fats, like olive oil and fish, will be better for you than the trans fats common in fast food. If you avoided steroids for health reasons, I would avoid fast foods for the same reasons.
Try for unheated oils. Like dipping bread in olive oil, and lots of nuts and seeds for the protein and oils.
Good luck!

I didn't avoid steroids because of health reasons, I still want to use steroids for certain amount of time, but I am going to wait a few years until I can be positive my body is done growing and hopefully by then I will be heavier than I am now.

And again thank you for the friendly advice, I can't ever get too much advice.

I have never heard of dipping bread in olive oil, I will have to try, and yes I have been eating lots of oatmeal, and nuts, didn't think to buy seeds though...

warning: TLDR incoming...

a lot of points have been covered already so ill summarize: youre not getting enough calories, enough carbs, and/or enough protein. the weightlifting you do is likely countered by the amount of cardio + military marching. that is going to burn right through all your calories, so start stacking a lot more. if you dont have opportunity to eat enough, well, sadly, you dont have opportunity to bulk.

sounds like you have good dietary sense. how often do you eat? you should be eating a minimum of 20g of protein every 3 hours, right on that 3 hour mark. eating 100g of protein in one meal is likely going to just find its way into your feces instead of your cell walls. each of these meals should not be solely protein, include fats, carbs, and a low amount of cholesterol (ie - the body does not live on protein shakes alone - diversify your food sources).

with the amount of cardio you do in a week, sounds like you could afford a good bit more fat. peanut butter is your friend. i diddnt read if you listed a numeric value for your caloric intake. you probably want to reach up to 3,000-3500 a day (when i was mass gaining, my goal was 4,000 a day, and i usually ate 3500+). general fitness is easy. body building is a 24 hour job.

NO ALCOHOL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (until youre satisfied with your level of bulk). Alcohol reduces the amount of testosterone in your body, and breaks down your muscles. Again, body building is a lifestyle.

So lastly, i bet a big problem you have is with technique and form. Ive been into weightlifting for almost a decade, ive had veteran marines, traumatic rehab doctors, and seasoned personal trainers give me all their own pointers, plus ive used my own body as an experiment laboratory for half a decade - that being said, i rarely see anyone have good form in a gym. THIS INCLUDES PERSONAL TRAINERS - i often see personal trainers saying "good! good job! one more! you got it!" to someone whose form is piss poor. Im convinced that most personal trainers out there dont even know proper form.

Form is everything. Bad form reduces the amount of work youre muscles are doing, and could possibly stress areas that can not afford to be stressed. Continuous bad form over many years can result in arthritis or other bone/joint problems far later in life.

I have a two-fold theory on why you rarely see good form in a gym:
1) The body is designed to attempt to do everything with the least amount of effort possible. Its embedded into our dna to resist the effort required for muscular work, to divert the energy to multiple places in the body so overall the muscles do less, and to require less energy. This is excellent in an environment where calories are scarce (such as, human existence for hundreds of thousands of years before about 10,000 years ago). This is terrible if youre trying to make your muscles larger, as youll do way too much work over way too long of a time to get where you want. Less energy efficient moves - ie good form when doing a weightlifting exercise, produces quicker results in a short amount of time. This is why you need to consume calories like a rancid whore on nickel night.

2) Everyone wants to jump ahead to the next level. This is particularly true for westerners. Everyone wants to feel tough and stack more plates on the bench, more weight ont heir curls, or more weight on their squats so they can say (chris farley voice:) 'Yeah, I can bench XXX and Squat XYZ!' Again, I often witness people with 45-60lbs more biomass than myself putting 30lbs too heavy on their bench and doing a piss poor rep that wouldnt even count in a competition and slamming the weight down like he man. Usually, theyre doing everything out of form, struggling, and just wanting to appear like someone with strength. This is exactly how you roadblock yourself and make 0 gains over a year span. The key - ONLY LIFT THE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MAINTAIN PERFECT FORM, OR PUT LESS WEIGHT ON!

The following is very difficult to discuss via text, however, since youre posting online, you have an unlimited resource for searching for such things. The following is also not a general fitness guideline, but purely a mass gaining guideline.

You want to cycle techniques in the gym (no, this cycling does not refer to roids! that shit is for pussies who cant handle a real workout). Cycling workout technique along with proper body building diet will turn your muscles into iron, produce a plentiful amount of testosterone, and place your muscles ina state of non stop growth.

Cycle 1 - Hypertrophy (look it up). Hypertrophy is essentially the act of causing tiny tears in your muscle fibers and repairing them with proteins. If you havent heard this word before, its likely youve never been introduced to a proper body building workout. And that being said, there are many different types of weightlifting, all of them will do slightly different things to your muscles. Hypertrophy is ONLY effective with good form and adequate protein/calorie intake.

For 4 weeks, you will perform no more than 5 exercises and no less than 3 exercises each day int he gym. You will work out no more than 5 days and no fewer than 4. For each exercise, you will do no fewer than 4 sets, no more than 4 sets (there is certainly such a thing as 'too much'). For each set, you will do the following - 12 reps on the first set, 10 reps on the next two sets, and 8 reps on the last set. For the first set, set an appropriate weight such that 11 reps is easy, 12 is difficult, and 13 would burn so bad you wouldnt be able to maintain form. For each subsequent set, same deal. So for example, on your last set, the 8th rep may be very difficult to maintain form. 9 should be impossible. This is where you need to learn how to set an appropriate weight. For hypertrophy, you may be surprised as to how light of weight you have to set. For example, when I was at my peak bulk, I used to do incline press with 35lb weights (although my max is like 330).

THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT: for each rep, from the starting position, breathe in deep, pause for a split second, and upon exhalation of the breath move to the peak position for about 1 second, no more. Pause at the peak position and squeeze the exact muscles youre trying to grow. Now as you come back to teh starting position, TAKE FOUR WHOLE SECONDS while breathing in. repeat. If you can not handle 12 reps at that slow of a pace, you have too much weight on, lower the weight and try the next set. It will feel extremely easy for your first few reps, and very difficult for your last few.

Cycle 2 - Strength training. Now that youve spent four weeks doing hypertrophy, with good form, youll notice your muscles are larger. However, they arent conditioned for strength. Strength has NOTHING to do with muscle size, strength is your muscles' load bearing capacities. For example, when I had a 168lb frame, I could bench 285-290lbs 6 times with good form. My muscles were conditioned for strength, not size.

For for weeks, for 4-5 days a week, for 4-5 exercises each day, for 4 sets each exercise, you will do 8 reps on first set, 6 reps on next two sets, and 5 reps on last set. This time, you will put a good bit more weight on. You wont build much muscle from this, however, you will make the new muscle mass you have much much stronger. You dont wanna be some 220lb guido that can barely handle 250lbs with his huge muscles. You want to hit a goal of outputting far more weight than your own bodyweight, or else youre some pansy that belongs shirtless in front of abercunty and fish.

Much like hypertrophy, on the first set (8 reps), you should feel a challenge getting the 8th off, with confidence that 9 is possible but form will be sacrificed. Also, you dont want to take so long doing each rep. From the starting position, blow out fast and hit your peak. Recede back to the starting position for about 2 seconds this time while inhaling. Repeat. For your last set, the set of 5 reps, I recommend a spotter, as you may misjudge the amount of weight and hurt yourself if your muscles fail. REMEMBER TO BREATHE!

3rd cycle - power training. Now its meathead time! Power training, imo, is super easy, and you can get a solid workout in in like 30 mins. Basically, youre finding out your maximum weight. On the inside, its a much different story. Hypertrophy built you some new muscles. Strength training conditioned those muscles for proper load bearing. Power training will build faster and stronger neurological connections to those muscles, so that when you go back to hypertrophy, your muscles will strike like a beast. Power training is great for anyone who wants to have a quick, instantaneous burst of muscular force (IE - a quarterback's throw, a runner's initial start, etc).

I recommend you always have a spotter, as you should be doing enough weight that failure of some exercises will result in hospitalization or death. Be safe! For 4 weeks, for 4-5 days a week, for 3-5 exercises a day, for 4 sets each exercises, you want to do 5,3,2,1 reps per set. The last set, the set of 1 rep, is your maximum. Learn this, and know thyself!

So, you need to learn a safe amount of weight to do. The first set of 5 should make 6 reps impossible, and 5 should feel very difficult. Your next set should be much harder. The 2nd to last set is testing your limit - stack up a weight that you think you can handle 2 reps with good form, although if you only get 1, thats just fine. Better to do one rep with good form than 1,000 reps with poor form. Not knowing your body's limits can result in serious injury, dont be a tough guy, this is about body transformation not a show.

The reps are performed as follows: Inhale, blast to the peak as quickly as possible, and receede back to starting position while inhaling for about 1 second. Repeat. This is the opposite of hypertrophy - this does not build muscle, it makes your body's response to the demand for load bearing very fast. Likewise, you want to do a high amount of weight very quickly, instead of a low amount of weight very slowly. It is necessary for your next hypertrophy cycle.

Last cycle - REST! Spend 7-10 days eating healthy, lots of protein, and doing NO weight training/ muscular conditioning exercise. Id also suggest not even running, just let your entire body rest, but if you have other obligations in life thats cool. Just dont do any muscular work. Rest rest rest. Also, as Ive mentioned above, you dont want to weight lift more than 5 days a week (4 is even better, if you can afford longer workouts). Why? Your muscles only grow when youre resting. If you lift 6 days a week, you will hurt your muscles more than you repair them, and youll make reverse progress. REST WELL. Sleep a MINIMUM of 8 hours a night, 10 is ideal. This allows you to grow the most. Resting is equally important to activity in the gym. If these are unbalanced, you will not grow much.

Now, repeat the above cycle. Do this 4 times a year, and with good form and proper rest and proper diet, you will grow. I did this for two years and put quite a lot of solid muscle on my body without putting hardly any fat on it. Your bones will be denser, joints stronger, and your endurance should be bestial. Sorry, no alcohol, it will reverse your progress. Dont smoke tobacco, as it will reduce your lung capacity, and make each repetition weaker. IMO, and let me reiterate, MY OPINION, is that cannabis is a good thing, as it makes you consume a lot more calories. Others diagree with me. For the record, the notion that cannabis reduces the amount of testosterone is a street myth resulting from a botched CIA test in an unrealistic laboratory setting. Its bullshit. I smoke weed every day and Id enjoy punching through my enemy's chest and ripping out his beating heart - trust me, cannabis does not reduce testosterone anymore than LSD changes your DNA (Again, thank the US government for spreading as many phony street myths as possible).

Here are some tips for good form - Your elbow and knee joints should be rarely, if ever, locked. If you lock your elbows, youre diverting your energy away from your target muscle and not getting the most efficient workout. Lazy people lock their joints. Lazy people are not body builders. Your wrists should always be in neutral positions, except for more exotic activities. Neutral means a 0 degree angle (flat) with palms facing down, or a 'hammer' position, with the hands turned 90 degrees upward and the palms facing inward (note, even switching the wrist positions can activate/deactivate certain muscles). Lastly, you shouldnt be working out muscles not involved in the exercise. For example, a classic way to do bicep curls wrong (which almost EVERYONE does as theyre doing too much weight), is to rock the back back and forth, to lock the knees out with the legs straight, and to whip the curl bar up with the triceps and anterior deltoid. Correctly, this is done by moving the foerarm up rotating about the elbow, with NOTHING else in the body moving but the lungs for breath. This is an example of how to maintain form.

Diversify your exercises. I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH EITHER - your body will build a tolerance to the same workout day in and day out. DIVERSIFY. If you did olympic bar one week, do freeweights the next week. Mix up cables with bars and freeweights. Avoid machines, they do too much work for you. If you did flat french curls one week, do tricep pulldowns the next time you do tris. If you did decline press with the olympic bar one week, do it at a sharper angle with freeweights the next. If you did standing calf raises with a freeweight one weak, do seated calf raises the next, etc.

Remember, if you struggle, have one side of the body doing more work than the other, lock joints out, clang the weights together, slam weights down on the floor, make too loud of a noise when lifting, or otherwise have bad posture, youre not doing real work for the muscles youre targeting, and everything becomes ineffective. FORM IS YOUR FOUNDATION. You want to do each repetition exactly as you did the first, dont sacrifice form for anything, else youll just end up taking much longer to reach your goals. Put less weight on, try again. You wont look weak, youll look like someone who actually knows how to lift.

If you really want to gain fat start drinking, beer and or alcohol in general. I used to smoke weed all the time and could not gain weight even though i ate food all day long. When i got put on probation and couldnt smoke i started drinking. Ive gained probably 30 to 40 pounds ( i was 130lb then) over the past year just because beer has alot of calories and i drink often, but if i was to work out like im supposed to it wouldnt be as big of a weight gain

In my opinion and experience, this is quite possibly the worst advice ive ever read. This is the homer simpson workout, not the body builder's workout.

Last edited:
Here is how i train, you may alter as you see fit:

Day 1) Chest - Incline, Flat, Flys, Decline, bit of abs. if i have time, i do 21s on incline and flat bench during the hypertrophy cycle.

Day 2) Legs - Squat, leg press, hamstring curls, calf raises, lunges until failure if i have time, bit of abs if i have time

Day 3) Either rest, or skip to the next item:

Day 3 or 4) Back & Biceps - Chinups until failure. Rest. Lat pulldowns, rows, double arm bicep curls, single arm bicep curls. 21s on biceps, alternating between hammer position and neutral position each week. 21s rock during hypertrophy cycle, but skip them when power training.

Day 4 or 5) Shoulders & Triceps - Military press/Arnold Press, Side deltoid extensions, anterior deltoid extensions, some double arm ticep exercise, some single arm tricep exercise. Dips until failure.

Day 5) depending on how much work i did that week, i either do a full day of abs, or i rest.

Day 6) REST

Day 7) REST ( i feel its important to get 2 days back to back of rest).

ALSO: for men, its better to lift in the morning. do it first thing when you wake up. I like to supplement with some caffeine, but some people say just do it with water. You will have less energy at night. Also, I jog after lifting for each of the above lifting days. Super serious body builders may even wake up slightly earlier and eat a bit of yogurt or tiny bit of cheese, in order to have a tiny amount of calories and protein in you before working out (i dont ever do that tho).

Most importantly, within 30 mins of your workout but really ASAP when youre done - get protein in you. That is protein shake time. After 45 mins or so of your protein shake, eat a big ass hearty meal. If you end up having a salad for a meal, have a protein shake for a drink, but really for the rest of the day dont resort to whey protein, use real food.

Your body is a machine! Oil it and run it well.

Last edited:
warning: TLDR incoming...
NSFW:

a lot of points have been covered already so ill summarize: youre not getting enough calories, enough carbs, and/or enough protein. the weightlifting you do is likely countered by the amount of cardio + military marching. that is going to burn right through all your calories, so start stacking a lot more. if you dont have opportunity to eat enough, well, sadly, you dont have opportunity to bulk.

sounds like you have good dietary sense. how often do you eat? you should be eating a minimum of 20g of protein every 3 hours, right on that 3 hour mark. eating 100g of protein in one meal is likely going to just find its way into your feces instead of your cell walls. each of these meals should not be solely protein, include fats, carbs, and a low amount of cholesterol (ie - the body does not live on protein shakes alone - diversify your food sources).

with the amount of cardio you do in a week, sounds like you could afford a good bit more fat. peanut butter is your friend. i diddnt read if you listed a numeric value for your caloric intake. you probably want to reach up to 3,000-3500 a day (when i was mass gaining, my goal was 4,000 a day, and i usually ate 3500+). general fitness is easy. body building is a 24 hour job.

NO ALCOHOL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (until youre satisfied with your level of bulk). Alcohol reduces the amount of testosterone in your body, and breaks down your muscles. Again, body building is a lifestyle.

So lastly, i bet a big problem you have is with technique and form. Ive been into weightlifting for almost a decade, ive had veteran marines, traumatic rehab doctors, and seasoned personal trainers give me all their own pointers, plus ive used my own body as an experiment laboratory for half a decade - that being said, i rarely see anyone have good form in a gym. THIS INCLUDES PERSONAL TRAINERS - i often see personal trainers saying "good! good job! one more! you got it!" to someone whose form is piss poor. Im convinced that most personal trainers out there dont even know proper form.

Form is everything. Bad form reduces the amount of work youre muscles are doing, and could possibly stress areas that can not afford to be stressed. Continuous bad form over many years can result in arthritis or other bone/joint problems far later in life.

I have a two-fold theory on why you rarely see good form in a gym:
1) The body is designed to attempt to do everything with the least amount of effort possible. Its embedded into our dna to resist the effort required for muscular work, to divert the energy to multiple places in the body so overall the muscles do less, and to require less energy. This is excellent in an environment where calories are scarce (such as, human existence for hundreds of thousands of years before about 10,000 years ago). This is terrible if youre trying to make your muscles larger, as youll do way too much work over way too long of a time to get where you want. Less energy efficient moves - ie good form when doing a weightlifting exercise, produces quicker results in a short amount of time. This is why you need to consume calories like a rancid whore on nickel night.

2) Everyone wants to jump ahead to the next level. This is particularly true for westerners. Everyone wants to feel tough and stack more plates on the bench, more weight ont heir curls, or more weight on their squats so they can say (chris farley voice:) 'Yeah, I can bench XXX and Squat XYZ!' Again, I often witness people with 45-60lbs more biomass than myself putting 30lbs too heavy on their bench and doing a piss poor rep that wouldnt even count in a competition and slamming the weight down like he man. Usually, theyre doing everything out of form, struggling, and just wanting to appear like someone with strength. This is exactly how you roadblock yourself and make 0 gains over a year span. The key - ONLY LIFT THE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MAINTAIN PERFECT FORM, OR PUT LESS WEIGHT ON!

The following is very difficult to discuss via text, however, since youre posting online, you have an unlimited resource for searching for such things. The following is also not a general fitness guideline, but purely a mass gaining guideline.

You want to cycle techniques in the gym (no, this cycling does not refer to roids! that shit is for pussies who cant handle a real workout). Cycling workout technique along with proper body building diet will turn your muscles into iron, produce a plentiful amount of testosterone, and place your muscles ina state of non stop growth.

Cycle 1 - Hypertrophy (look it up). Hypertrophy is essentially the act of causing tiny tears in your muscle fibers and repairing them with proteins. If you havent heard this word before, its likely youve never been introduced to a proper body building workout. And that being said, there are many different types of weightlifting, all of them will do slightly different things to your muscles. Hypertrophy is ONLY effective with good form and adequate protein/calorie intake.

For 4 weeks, you will perform no more than 5 exercises and no less than 3 exercises each day int he gym. You will work out no more than 5 days and no fewer than 4. For each exercise, you will do no fewer than 4 sets, no more than 4 sets (there is certainly such a thing as 'too much'). For each set, you will do the following - 12 reps on the first set, 10 reps on the next two sets, and 8 reps on the last set. For the first set, set an appropriate weight such that 11 reps is easy, 12 is difficult, and 13 would burn so bad you wouldnt be able to maintain form. For each subsequent set, same deal. So for example, on your last set, the 8th rep may be very difficult to maintain form. 9 should be impossible. This is where you need to learn how to set an appropriate weight. For hypertrophy, you may be surprised as to how light of weight you have to set. For example, when I was at my peak bulk, I used to do incline press with 35lb weights (although my max is like 330).

THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT: for each rep, from the starting position, breathe in deep, pause for a split second, and upon exhalation of the breath move to the peak position for about 1 second, no more. Pause at the peak position and squeeze the exact muscles youre trying to grow. Now as you come back to teh starting position, TAKE FOUR WHOLE SECONDS while breathing in. repeat. If you can not handle 12 reps at that slow of a pace, you have too much weight on, lower the weight and try the next set. It will feel extremely easy for your first few reps, and very difficult for your last few.

Cycle 2 - Strength training. Now that youve spent four weeks doing hypertrophy, with good form, youll notice your muscles are larger. However, they arent conditioned for strength. Strength has NOTHING to do with muscle size, strength is your muscles' load bearing capacities. For example, when I had a 168lb frame, I could bench 285-290lbs 6 times with good form. My muscles were conditioned for strength, not size.

For for weeks, for 4-5 days a week, for 4-5 exercises each day, for 4 sets each exercise, you will do 8 reps on first set, 6 reps on next two sets, and 5 reps on last set. This time, you will put a good bit more weight on. You wont build much muscle from this, however, you will make the new muscle mass you have much much stronger. You dont wanna be some 220lb guido that can barely handle 250lbs with his huge muscles. You want to hit a goal of outputting far more weight than your own bodyweight, or else youre some pansy that belongs shirtless in front of abercunty and fish.

Much like hypertrophy, on the first set (8 reps), you should feel a challenge getting the 8th off, with confidence that 9 is possible but form will be sacrificed. Also, you dont want to take so long doing each rep. From the starting position, blow out fast and hit your peak. Recede back to the starting position for about 2 seconds this time while inhaling. Repeat. For your last set, the set of 5 reps, I recommend a spotter, as you may misjudge the amount of weight and hurt yourself if your muscles fail. REMEMBER TO BREATHE!

3rd cycle - power training. Now its meathead time! Power training, imo, is super easy, and you can get a solid workout in in like 30 mins. Basically, youre finding out your maximum weight. On the inside, its a much different story. Hypertrophy built you some new muscles. Strength training conditioned those muscles for proper load bearing. Power training will build faster and stronger neurological connections to those muscles, so that when you go back to hypertrophy, your muscles will strike like a beast. Power training is great for anyone who wants to have a quick, instantaneous burst of muscular force (IE - a quarterback's throw, a runner's initial start, etc).

I recommend you always have a spotter, as you should be doing enough weight that failure of some exercises will result in hospitalization or death. Be safe! For 4 weeks, for 4-5 days a week, for 3-5 exercises a day, for 4 sets each exercises, you want to do 5,3,2,1 reps per set. The last set, the set of 1 rep, is your maximum. Learn this, and know thyself!

So, you need to learn a safe amount of weight to do. The first set of 5 should make 6 reps impossible, and 5 should feel very difficult. Your next set should be much harder. The 2nd to last set is testing your limit - stack up a weight that you think you can handle 2 reps with good form, although if you only get 1, thats just fine. Better to do one rep with good form than 1,000 reps with poor form. Not knowing your body's limits can result in serious injury, dont be a tough guy, this is about body transformation not a show.

The reps are performed as follows: Inhale, blast to the peak as quickly as possible, and receede back to starting position while inhaling for about 1 second. Repeat. This is the opposite of hypertrophy - this does not build muscle, it makes your body's response to the demand for load bearing very fast. Likewise, you want to do a high amount of weight very quickly, instead of a low amount of weight very slowly. It is necessary for your next hypertrophy cycle.

Last cycle - REST! Spend 7-10 days eating healthy, lots of protein, and doing NO weight training/ muscular conditioning exercise. Id also suggest not even running, just let your entire body rest, but if you have other obligations in life thats cool. Just dont do any muscular work. Rest rest rest. Also, as Ive mentioned above, you dont want to weight lift more than 5 days a week (4 is even better, if you can afford longer workouts). Why? Your muscles only grow when youre resting. If you lift 6 days a week, you will hurt your muscles more than you repair them, and youll make reverse progress. REST WELL. Sleep a MINIMUM of 8 hours a night, 10 is ideal. This allows you to grow the most. Resting is equally important to activity in the gym. If these are unbalanced, you will not grow much.

Now, repeat the above cycle. Do this 4 times a year, and with good form and proper rest and proper diet, you will grow. I did this for two years and put quite a lot of solid muscle on my body without putting hardly any fat on it. Your bones will be denser, joints stronger, and your endurance should be bestial. Sorry, no alcohol, it will reverse your progress. Dont smoke tobacco, as it will reduce your lung capacity, and make each repetition weaker. IMO, and let me reiterate, MY OPINION, is that cannabis is a good thing, as it makes you consume a lot more calories. Others diagree with me. For the record, the notion that cannabis reduces the amount of testosterone is a street myth resulting from a botched CIA test in an unrealistic laboratory setting. Its bullshit. I smoke weed every day and Id enjoy punching through my enemy's chest and ripping out his beating heart - trust me, cannabis does not reduce testosterone anymore than LSD changes your DNA (Again, thank the US government for spreading as many phony street myths as possible).

Here are some tips for good form - Your elbow and knee joints should be rarely, if ever, locked. If you lock your elbows, youre diverting your energy away from your target muscle and not getting the most efficient workout. Lazy people lock their joints. Lazy people are not body builders. Your wrists should always be in neutral positions, except for more exotic activities. Neutral means a 0 degree angle (flat) with palms facing down, or a 'hammer' position, with the hands turned 90 degrees upward and the palms facing inward (note, even switching the wrist positions can activate/deactivate certain muscles). Lastly, you shouldnt be working out muscles not involved in the exercise. For example, a classic way to do bicep curls wrong (which almost EVERYONE does as theyre doing too much weight), is to rock the back back and forth, to lock the knees out with the legs straight, and to whip the curl bar up with the triceps and anterior deltoid. Correctly, this is done by moving the foerarm up rotating about the elbow, with NOTHING else in the body moving but the lungs for breath. This is an example of how to maintain form.

Diversify your exercises. I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH EITHER - your body will build a tolerance to the same workout day in and day out. DIVERSIFY. If you did olympic bar one week, do freeweights the next week. Mix up cables with bars and freeweights. Avoid machines, they do too much work for you. If you did flat french curls one week, do tricep pulldowns the next time you do tris. If you did decline press with the olympic bar one week, do it at a sharper angle with freeweights the next. If you did standing calf raises with a freeweight one weak, do seated calf raises the next, etc.

Remember, if you struggle, have one side of the body doing more work than the other, lock joints out, clang the weights together, slam weights down on the floor, make too loud of a noise when lifting, or otherwise have bad posture, youre not doing real work for the muscles youre targeting, and everything becomes ineffective. FORM IS YOUR FOUNDATION. You want to do each repetition exactly as you did the first, dont sacrifice form for anything, else youll just end up taking much longer to reach your goals. Put less weight on, try again. You wont look weak, youll look like someone who actually knows how to lift.

NSFW:

Here is how i train, you may alter as you see fit:

Day 1) Chest - Incline, Flat, Flys, Decline, bit of abs. if i have time, i do 21s on incline and flat bench during the hypertrophy cycle.

Day 2) Legs - Squat, leg press, hamstring curls, calf raises, lunges until failure if i have time, bit of abs if i have time

Day 3) Either rest, or skip to the next item:

Day 3 or 4) Back & Biceps - Chinups until failure. Rest. Lat pulldowns, rows, double arm bicep curls, single arm bicep curls. 21s on biceps, alternating between hammer position and neutral position each week. 21s rock during hypertrophy cycle, but skip them when power training.

Day 4 or 5) Shoulders & Triceps - Military press/Arnold Press, Side deltoid extensions, anterior deltoid extensions, some double arm ticep exercise, some single arm tricep exercise. Dips until failure.

Day 5) depending on how much work i did that week, i either do a full day of abs, or i rest.

Day 6) REST

Day 7) REST ( i feel its important to get 2 days back to back of rest).

ALSO: for men, its better to lift in the morning. do it first thing when you wake up. I like to supplement with some caffeine, but some people say just do it with water. You will have less energy at night. Also, I jog after lifting for each of the above lifting days. Super serious body builders may even wake up slightly earlier and eat a bit of yogurt or tiny bit of cheese, in order to have a tiny amount of calories and protein in you before working out (i dont ever do that tho).

Most importantly, within 30 mins of your workout but really ASAP when youre done - get protein in you. That is protein shake time. After 45 mins or so of your protein shake, eat a big ass hearty meal. If you end up having a salad for a meal, have a protein shake for a drink, but really for the rest of the day dont resort to whey protein, use real food.

Your body is a machine! Oil it and run it well.

Wow thank you for this, I have had about 4-6 personal trainers who taught me all wrong, and same for my friends who work out.

Most useful knowledge I have ever read I think. =D